Super Smash Bros. Ultimate artwork
|First appearance||Kid Icarus: Uprising (2012)|
|Latest appearance||Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (2018)|
- “Can't help but feel sorry for ya.”
- – Dark Pit, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
Dark Pit (sometimes called Pittoo by Pit and Palutena) is an imperfect, opposite clone of Pit created after the destruction of the Mirror of Truth, in the events of Kid Icarus: Uprising. He serves as an anti-hero, being somewhat of a rival to Pit. Compared to Pit's, his personality is more serious and aggressive, rejecting the idea of being a servant to anyone. His appearance is identical to Pit's, except with the dark coloring to his clothing, wings and hair. Dark Pit was most likely based on the "fallen angel" coloration of Pit in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, considering that Sora Ltd. was the developer for both games.
Super Smash Bros. series
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
Dark Pit makes an appearance as an unlockable fighter in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. In Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Dark Pit can be unlocked by playing 50 Smash matches or clearing Classic with three different characters and then defeating him on Reset Bomb Forest, while in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, he is unlocked by playing 40 matches or clearing All-Star on Normal difficulty, then defeating him on Palutena's Temple. He was originally planned to be an alternate costume for Pit, but was made a full character after he began to receive balancing differences to give him distinct records; Masahiro Sakurai also thought it would be odd for him to wield the Three Sacred Treasures, and the team had already modeled the Electroshock Arm. Dark Pit is the only newcomer who did not have a reveal trailer; his inclusion in the game was instead hinted at the end of Palutena's trailer. Like in Kid Icarus: Uprising, Dark Pit shares his voice actors with Pit, who also reprise their roles for this game: Antony Del Rio in English and Minami Takayama in Japanese.
Dark Pit's moves are similar to Pit's, but there are a handful of noticeable differences. His standard special is the Silver Bow, which lets him fire a controllable arrow like Pit's Palutena Bow, and his side special is the Electroshock Arm, which lets him charge forward and uppercut opponents with an electric attack. His up and down special moves, Power of Flight and Guardian Orbitars respectively, are identical to Pit's moves; the former gives Dark Pit a quick burst of flight, while the latter lets Dark Pit defend himself with a pair of shields. His Final Smash is the Dark Pit Staff, in which he fires the staff to deal high damage and knockback to opponents. For his stage entrance, Dark Pit descends onto the stage from a dark light.
Dark Pit has average weight, being heavier than Robin, Roy, and Pac-Man, lighter than Luigi, Villager and a lightest possible Mii Fighter, while weighing the same as Pit and Wii Fit Trainer.
Dark Pit has a distinct victory theme from the other Kid Icarus characters, being a brief excerpt of Dark Pit's Theme from Kid Icarus: Uprising. He also has a special victory quote that sometimes plays if Pit is in the match.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Dark Pit returns in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as an unlockable playable character. This time, he is classified as an Echo Fighter based on Pit. Dark Pit can be unlocked by playing VS. mode matches, being the 54th character unlocked. Dark Pit can also be unlocked in Classic Mode through Samus's unlocking tree, or joining the player's party in Adventure Mode: World of Light.
In the Adventure mode, both Pit and Dark Pit are present when the fighters oppose Galeem for the first time. Palutena tries to reflect Galeem's large laser attack while granting the Power of Flight to both Pit and Dark Pit, but fails and is eliminated, cutting off Pit and Dark Pit's flight and causing them to fall to Galeem's attack as well.
Additionally, Dark Pit makes appearances in two newly recorded Palutena's Guidance conversations, namely those of the Ice Climbers and Wolf.
Classic Mode route
|1||Mewtwo||Spear Pillar||Battle! (Dialga/Palkia) / Spear Pillar|
|2||Dark Samus||Frigate Orpheon||Opening/Menu - Metroid Prime|
|3||Link (dark costume) ×3||Temple||Great Temple / Temple|
|5||Captain Falcon (Blood Falcon costume)||Big Blue||Devil's Call in Your Heart|
|6||Pit||Palutena's Temple||Dark Pit's Theme|
|Boss Battle - Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
Other crossover appearances
Dark Pit can be unlocked as a Costume Mario costume in Super Mario Maker. His sprite is identical to Pit's sprite, but using Dark Pit's colors. While the transformation and jump sounds as well as the course clear song are taken from the Famicom Disk System of Kid Icarus, his death song is taken from the game over theme of Kid Icarus: Uprising.
Profiles and statistics
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
Blue indicates the trophy or description is exclusive to the Wii U version.
- Pit: Hey! It's Pittoo!
- Dark Pit: Will you quit calling me that?!
- Palutena: Now where did you disappear to after the fight with Hades?
- Viridi: Actually, Dark Pit works for me now. He's an officer in the Forces of Nature.
- Palutena: What?!
- Pit: No way!
- Viridi: Just because we fought together once doesn't mean we're all buddy-buddy now. In fact, the Lightning Chariot and Phosphora are also both under my command. The battle isn't over yet!
- Dark Pit: Viridi's interests and mine just happen to overlap, so for this fight, I'll be happy to launch you into the stratosphere!
- Palutena: Your powers are perfectly matched here.
- Viridi: It all comes down to skill!
- Dark Pit first appeared in the Kid Icarus: Uprising game, and is Pit's mysterious, black-clad doppelgänger. Some call him Pittoo, but he really doesn't like that. He can soar through the skies without being granted the power of flight. When he first appears, he immediately goes after both Pit and the Underworld Army.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
|No.||Name||Image||Series / game||Type||Class||Strength / effect(s)||How to obtain||Spirit battle|
|704||Dark Pit||Kid Icarus Series||Fighter||N/A||N/A||Classic Mode as Dark Pit||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Super Smash Blog bio
- Dark Pit is Pit's echo fighter. His abilities are mostly the same as Pit's, but his hair and clothes are different colors, he summons different weapons, and celebrates victory to a different tune.
- "Electroshock!" - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
- "No way!" - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
- "Goodbye!" - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
- "It's time!" - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
- "Who wants some?" - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
- "Watch out!" - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
- "Game on!" - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
- "Looks like I'm the last man standing!" - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
- "Nice try!" - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
- "Where's your goddess now?" - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
Names in other languages
黑暗彼特 (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)
|French||Pit maléfique||Evil Pit|
|German||Finsterer Pit||Sinister Pit|
|Italian||Pit Oscuro||Dark Pit|
|Portuguese||Pit Sombrio||Shadow Pit|
|Spanish||Pit Sombrío||Shadowy Pit|
|Abbreviation of Black Pit; Also likely based on the Japanese nickname for Brad Pitt|
|Abbreviation of 黑暗彼特, similar to the Japanese nickname.|
|French||Tip||From "Pit" backwards|
- ^ Soma (July 9, 2015). “I Answer Some Questions,” Sakurai Famitsu column vol. 461-464, on Ice Climbers, clones, and Smash Run. Source Gaming. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- ^ Reiner, Andrew (February 18, 2015). Masahiro Sakurai's Super Smash Bros. Diaries. Game Informer. Retrieved January 9, 2016.