Artwork from Fire Emblem Awakening
|First appearance||Fire Emblem Awakening (2012)|
|Latest appearance||Dragalia Lost (2020, cameo)|
|Console debut||Nintendo 3DS|
Chrom is the prince (and eventual ruler) of Ylisse, father of Lucina, and descendant of Marth who makes his debut in Fire Emblem Awakening. During the events of the game, he meets and befriends Robin who joins him and his military band, the Shepherds, in defeating the Fell Dragon Grima. He wields Falchion, the same sword wielded by Marth. In English, Chrom is voiced by Matthew Mercer, who has voiced him in the dubbed Fire Emblem games, while Tomokazu Sugita, Chrom's Japanese voice actor in the Fire Emblem series, provides his voice in the Japanese version.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
In Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, is a non-playable character featured in Robin's Final Smash, Pair Up. When the move is used, Chrom appears and dashes forward, sending any opponents in his way into the air. Chrom and Robin then both follow up with a series of attacks culminating with a downward blow that launches opponents. Chrom also appears as a collectible trophy, an online profile icon, and a Mii Fighter costume. He occasionally appears during Robin in's victory pose.
Originally, Masahiro Sakurai considered adding Chrom as a playable character, following the successful release of Fire Emblem Awakening, but felt Chrom did not possess any unique characteristics and would be too similar to other sword-wielding fighters such as Marth and Ike. This is referenced in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U in the Palutena's Guidance conversation for Robin, in which Chrom makes a guest appearance.
Chrom also appears in Robin and Lucina's introduction trailer, where he is seen lying on the ground, having been defeated by Captain Falcon.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
In the Nintendo Direct broadcast on August 8, 2018, Chrom was announced as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, being an Echo Fighter of Roy. The main gameplay difference distinguishing Chrom from Roy is that his sword attacks deal consistent damage regardless of his distance from the opponent, similarly to Lucina's main difference from Marth. While Chrom shares many similar moves with him, he also possesses a move that is similar to Ike's Aether, Soaring Slash, though instead of throwing his sword, he slashes upward, sending opponents into the air. Several of Chrom's moves also lack Roy's fire effects, namely his up smash attack, down air attack and all of his special moves. For his Final Smash, Awakening Aether, Chrom performs a single slash, stunning any opponents in front of him, and performs his Aether skill from Fire Emblem Awakening, lunging forward and launching them away.
Despite being a playable character, Chrom still appears in Robin's Final Smash and one of Robin's victory poses. Initially, Chrom had the generic Fire Emblem victory theme from the previous games, albeit sped up (akin to Marth, Roy, and Ike), despite Lucina and Robin's victory theme having been replaced by a short arrangement of "Id (Purpose)", a song from Fire Emblem Awakening. Chrom's victory theme was changed to Lucina and Robin's version through the version 3.0.0 update released on April 17, 2019.
Chrom can be unlocked by either playing World of Light, taking part in VS. Mode for 9 hours and 40 minutes and having 58 other characters unlocked, or by completing Classic Mode with Yoshi at least seven times and having six other characters unlocked.
Chrom is one of the two newcomers that use the "Joins the battle!!!" tagline (as with the Japanese and British English versions) regardless of region, with the other being Dark Samus.
Chrom has average weight, being heavier than Ness, Lucas, Inkling, and Mii Brawler, but lighter than Pit, Dark Pit, Wii Fit Trainer, and Pokémon Trainer's Ivysaur, while having the same weight as Roy, Pac-Man, and Robin.
Classic Mode route
|Fight as One|
|1||Lucina||Arena Ferox||Id (Purpose)|
|2||Fox, Falco||Team Battle
|Lylat Cruise||Space Armada|
|3||Ness, Lucas||Team Battle
(Ally: Robin (female))
|Onett||Pollyanna (I Believe in You)|
|4||Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong||Team Battle
|Jungle Japes||Jungle Hijinxs|
|5||Peach, Daisy||Team Battle
(Ally: Robin (male))
|Mario Circuit||Rainbow Road - Mario Kart: Double Dash!!|
|6||Simon, Richter||Team Battle
|Dracula's Castle||Vampire Killer|
|Final||Master Hand, Crazy Hand||Team Battle
(Ally: Robin (female))
|Final Destination||Master Hand / Crazy Hand|
Profiles and statistics
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U trophy
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Pit: Woah! It's Chrom!
- Viridi: He finally made it to the fight!
- Palutena: He's the prince of the Halidom of Ylisse... and the descendant of the Hero-King Marth.
- Pit: Marth's sword and Chrom's sword are both named Falchion, right? The designs seem a bit different. Are they really the same sword?
- Palutena: The sword Chrom wields is Falchion, but Marth's sword is Exalted Falchion.
- Viridi: And Lucina's sword is Parallel Falchion.
- Pit: . . That word makes no sense!
- Palutena: Falchion can become the Exalted Falchion once the Fire Emblem brings out its true form.
- Pit: If Chrom can fight Marth using a weaker sword, Chrom must be stronger.
- Viridi: I wouldn't say that. I mean, Wario launches people with farts. Pretty sure the style of weapon doesn't make a huge difference.
Super Smash Blog bio
- The protagonist of Fire Emblem Awakening joins the battle as Roy's echo fighter. His Final Smash is Awakening Aether. Like Aether in the original game, this move has Chrom charge toward his opponent, slashing with his sword.
- Prince of the Halidom of Ylisse, Chrom is a descendant of the Hero-King Marth. He leads a militia force called the Shepherds that protects Ylisse. Though he can be reckless during training, he can always be counted on in the heat of battle.
- "My strength is yours!" - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
- "On my mark!" - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
- "We're not done yet!" - Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
- "Come on!" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "Come at me!" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "I will not fail!" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "Out of my way!" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "How about this?!" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "I'll end you!" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "No way!" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "Not today!" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "Now I'm mad!" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "Your end has come!" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "AETHER!" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "Sorry!" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "The training paid off." - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "I will cut a path!" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "Our bond is stronger than steel." - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Names in other languages
Кром (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)
- Tweet by Matthew Mercer
- Tweet by Tomokazu Sugita
- McFerran, D. (July 17, 2014). Sakurai Explains Why Chrom Didn't Make It Into Super Smash Bros. For Wii U And 3DS. Nintendo Life. Retrieved August 9, 2018.