Colonel Roy Campbell
From the Super Smash Bros. Wiki, a Super Smash Bros. encyclopediaJump to navigationJump to search
- “Snake, what's going on out there?”
- —Colonel Roy Campbell, ''Super Smash Bros. Brawl''
Colonel Roy Campbell is a former member of FOXHOUND in the Metal Gear franchise, and is also Solid Snake's commanding officer and close friend. He made his first appearance in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. He is voiced by Paul Eiding in English and the late Takeshi Aono in Japanese.
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, he informs Snake of his invitation to the Super Smash Bros. tournaments, and he analyzes some characters in the game, like Wario or Mario, giving tips to Snake about them. Like in the Metal Gear series, the Codec frequency used to talk with the Colonel in Super Smash Bros. Brawl is 140.85.
- Colonel: Careful, Snake! That's the great and terrible Bowser!
- Snake: Bowser? Looks like a cheap movie monster.
- Colonel: Hardly. Bowser leads an entire army of monsters. But I'd worry more about his claws and fire if I were you.
- Snake: Doesn't look that tough to me. Seems kind of slow, actually.
- Colonel: Well, he is the king of Koopas. It's only natural he'd be slow. But that's only because he's the heaviest fighter here--by far. He's a powerhouse of destruction. Careful he doesn't flatten you.
About Fox McCloud
- Snake: Colonel! That fox is fast!
- Colonel: You're fighting Fox, eh, Snake? His full name is Fox McCloud. He's the leader of the commando-for-hire unit Star Fox. They're mostly active in a galaxy known as the Lylat System. Fox and his comrades pilot all-terrain fighter crafts called Arwings. His skills in combat can turn the tide of any battle. ...You seem to have a thing with foxes, don't you, Snake?
- Snake: Don't remind me. First FOXHOUND and now this guy... I'm sick of foxes.
- Colonel: You and foxes have a long history together. You ought to be proud.
- Snake: This swordsman's gonna be tough to beat.
- Colonel: Fighting Ike, eh, Snake? Ike is the leader of the Greil Mercenaries. He may look too refined to be a fighter... But he has one heck of a sword arm.
- Snake: Yeah, he's swinging that two-handed sword around with only one hand. I don't even want to get near him.
- Colonel: That's the holy blade of Ragnell. It's an extremely powerful sword. But don't forget, Snake, you're armed to the teeth yourself. To your opponents, you might just be their worst nightmare. The distance between you and your enemy is a crucial element in battle. Using that distance can give you an advantage against some enemies.
- Snake: Yeah, I've got the same feeling...
- Snake: Aw, there's a big eyeball walking around here...
- Colonel: That's just Jigglypuff.
- Snake: Jigglypuff? Is that some kind of marshmallow?
- Colonel: Jigglypuff is a balloon-shaped Pokémon. It may be light and puffy and full of air, but its Sleep ability is devastating.
- Snake: Sleep...? What's so devastating about it going to sleep?
- Colonel: The instant it falls asleep, there's a huge buildup of energy in its center of gravity. If it hits you, it's lights out for sure.
- Snake: So it puts a lot of energy into sleeping? Sounds pretty irresponsible if you ask me.
- Colonel: Takes all kinds, Snake. Especially here in Brawl.
About King Dedede
- Snake: Look at the size of that hammer...
- Colonel: That's King Dedede you're fighting, Snake.
- Snake: Dedede? You mean it's not a penguin, Colonel?
- Colonel: He's the king of Dream Land. Well, so he says, anyway.
- Snake: Are you sure he's not a penguin?
- Colonel: One full swing from that hammer can level an entire building. It may look like just a big wooden mallet, but it's actually outfitted with special mechanical systems like turbo jets and precision bearings to boost its effectiveness.
- Snake: I don't think I could even lift that thing. And he's swinging it around like it was nothing...
- Colonel: But he also leaves himself wide open. Just make sure you avoid the swing, Snake.
- Snake: That guy, with the mustache...
- Colonel: Ha! You mean the "King of Second Bananas"?
- Snake: Hey! That's Luigi! Show him a little respect!
- Colonel: Look at that pale skin! He's been living in his brother's shadow for too long.
- Snake: That's a low blow, Colonel!
- Colonel: Face it, Snake! Once a kid brother, always a kid brother!
- Snake: Colonel, what's gotten into you?!
- Colonel: La li lu le lo. La li lu le lo. La li lu le lo.
- Snake: Colonel, snap out of it! Colonel!! Coooooooloneeeeeel! (Snake's voice rings out with echo when he shouts)
- Colonel: Snake, you know who that is?
- Snake: You're kidding, right? It's Mario.
- Colonel: Mario made his first appearance in 1981, and since then, he's become a worldwide phenomenon. There's probably not a single person who doesn't know Mario. He's that famous.
- Snake: Good thing I survived long enough to meet him on the field of battle, huh.
- Colonel: This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance, Snake. Now get out of there and show him what you're made of. No regrets.
- Snake: Got it.
- Colonel: That kid... Isn't that Ness?
- Snake: Ness?
- Colonel: He may look like a mere boy, but don't let that fool you. He has PSI abilities that defy all scientific explanation.
- Snake: Just like Psycho Mantis...
- Colonel: Exactly. He can use teleportation, levitation, pyrokinesis, and psychokinesis.
- Snake: Yeah, but the question is, can he read minds?
- Colonel: Not to my knowledge, no.
- Snake: Good. Then I won't have to worry about him predicting my every move.
- Colonel: Even if he had telepathic powers, I don't think he'd use them to mess with you like that. I hear he's a good kid.
About Pokémon Trainer
- Snake: Pokémon Trainer... That's the guy giving orders behind a Pokémon, right?
- Colonel: Right, and this Pokémon Trainer is controlling Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. They represent water, grass, and fire, and they're all powerful.
- Snake: So he makes his Pokémon fight while he sits back and watches. Sounds like a good deal if you ask me.
- Colonel: It's not like that, Snake. Those Pokémon wouldn't know what to do if the Pokémon Trainer wasn't there giving orders. In every battle, there's a soldier doing the fighting, and a commander telling him what to do. By working together as a team, they accomplish much more than either could on their own. So let's do this together, partner.
- Snake: ...Yeah... Whatever you say, Colonel.
About Princess Zelda
- Colonel: Snake, I see you're fighting Zelda.
- Snake: Yeah, I guess. Doesn't feel right fighting someone in a dress, though.
- Colonel: Don't underestimate her just because she's a woman. Zelda's attacks are backed by powerful magic. Her hand-to-hand combat may look weak, but her magic makes it cut to the bone.
- Snake: So this rose has thorns... Interesting...
- Colonel: ...This is no time for pickup lines, Snake.
- Snake: Don't worry. I know from experience that it's the quiet ones you have to watch out for.
- Snake: Colonel, it's me! I'm fighting myself!
- Colonel: Snake, what's going on out there?! Could it be...? Has the "Les Enfants Terribles" project really come this far?!
- Snake: It's more than that. He got my moves, my gear... It's like looking in a mirror.
- Colonel: Do you think they collected data on you and created another Snake...?
- Snake: He's got the same build too... Creepy. But his Sneaking Suit is a different color. And his tactics are slightly different.
- Colonel: Interesting. So even if you're evenly matched in power, your fighting styles will make a big difference. You've faced tougher odds in the past, Snake. Don't let this imposter beat you!
- Snake: This guy kind of gives me the creeps.
- Colonel: That's Wario, Snake. Wario first appeared as Mario's rival, but he really made his name in the WarioWare games. Watch out for Wario's bite. It's not just damage you take from it.
- Snake: What do you mean, Colonel?
- Colonel: Wario loves garlic. He eats whole cloves of it day and night. So try not to get caught in his mouth. Once that smell gets on you, it'll stick to you for quite a while.
- Snake: Ugh. That's a scary thought.
- Colonel: He also attacks by farting. He can fart to fly around, too.
- Snake: By... farting?! (sudden fit of rage) Are you kidding me?!
- Colonel: Sadly, no. I am not kidding. If his belly starts to bulge, watch out.
About Wolf O'Donnell
- Snake: Colonel, there's a guy in here who looks like a wolf...
- Colonel: You mean the fighter named Wolf.
- Snake: "Wolf". Real imaginative name...
- Colonel: He's the leader of a ragtag team called "Star Wolf". They're the longtime rivals of Star Fox.
- Snake: Kind of strange for a wolf to have friends, isn't it?
- Colonel: Well, I don't think he works well with others. I suppose they're more like hangers-on than actual comrades. But he's a remarkable pilot. And his ship, the "Wolfen", is no slouch, either.
- Snake: But this is hand-to-hand combat, Colonel. He's out of his element.
- Colonel: Careful, Snake. Those claws of his aren't just for show.
Name in other languages
Roi Kyanberu Taisa
Luóyī Kǎnbèi'ěr Shàngxiào
|Korean||로이 캠벨 대령
Roi Kaembel Daeryeong
|Russian||Полковник Рой Кэмпбелл
Polkovnik Roy Kempbell
- Colonel Roy Campbell on the Metal Gear Solid Wiki