Super Smash Bros. Ultimate artwork
|First appearance||Pokémon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew (2005, overall)|
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Versions (2006, video games)
|Latest appearance||Pokémon Legends: Arceus (2022)|
|Portrayed by||Sean Schemmel (2006, 2014-present)|
Daisuke Namikawa (Japanese; 2005-present)
- “Watch the power of Aura!”
- —Lucario, Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Lucario is a Fighting/Steel-type Pokémon from the Pokémon franchise. It first appeared in the film Pokémon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, and made its game debut in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Versions. Lucario has been featured as a fighter in a few Super Smash Bros. games, starting with Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Super Smash Bros. series
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Lucario appears as an unlockable playable character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It can be unlocked by playing 100 Brawl matches, completing every level of Target Smash! with one character, or by having it join the party in Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary by clearing The Glacial Peak. Its voice clips in this game are provided by Bill Rogers in the English release, who voices Lucario in the Pokémon anime series, and Daisuke Namikawa in Japanese, who previously provided the voice of the Lucario in the film Pokémon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew and the anime's Pokémon the Series: Diamond and Pearl season.
Lucario's entrance involves it teleporting on stage, floating for a second, and gathering aura energy in its hands before landing. Lucario's attacks and abilities mostly revolve around Aura, which increases in power the more damage Lucario takes (though this only applies to attacks that use its Aura). Its standard special move is Aura Sphere, in which Lucario charges and throws a ball of Aura energy. Its side special move is Force Palm, in which Lucario thrusts its hand forward to attack with a burst of energy. Its down special move is Double Team, in which Lucario counterattacks an opponent that attacks it. Its up special move is ExtremeSpeed, in which Lucario flies in the direction the player inputs. Its Final Smash is Aura Storm, in which Lucario leaps into the air and fires a beam down onto the stage.
Lucario is one of the few fighters to only have five recolors, the others being Pokémon Trainer, Jigglypuff, and Sonic. Lucario is the only Pokémon in Super Smash Bros. Brawl who can actually speak (though he does this via telepathy) instead of just saying its name.
Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary
Lucario is first encountered at the top of The Glacial Peak, where it is balanced on the peak when Meta Knight and the Ice Climbers arrive. Lucario and Meta Knight battle (the player able to control either character), and the loser is turned into a trophy. The winner revives the loser, and the two shake hands, now allies. However, in its battle with the Great Fox, the Halberd smashes the Great Fox into the mountain, allowing Lucario and Meta Knight to climb aboard the Halberd.
As the two are traveling through the Halberd, Lucario senses Solid Snake's Aura from inside his cardboard box and exposes him. His cover blown, Snake and Meta Knight are about to fight, but Lucario stops them, sensing the Aura of some nearby Primids which they fight instead. As the three travel on they find a room where the trophies of Peach and Zelda are being held in cages. Shadow Bugs then appear and take the form of the princesses, which Lucario, Meta Knight and Snake battle. After the clones are defeated the actual Peach and Zelda are freed and left in the room while the group travels on. They arrive at the bridge, where they find multiple Mr. Game & Watches controlling the ship. Snake knocks them all onto the main deck, where they dissolve into Shadow Bugs and reform into Duon. Snake and Lucario leap down onto the deck, teaming up with Sheik, Peach, Fox, and Falco to fight. After it is defeated, Duon dissolves to reveal the actual Mr. Game & Watch's trophy, which Peach restores.
The Halberd lands in the desert, where most of the cast units. They all then fight against the Subspace Gunship and make it to Subspace. Inside, the team stand against Tabuu, but are all instantly turned into Trophies. However, they are all eventually restored and head to face Tabuu. After he is defeated, everyone returns to the real world, the Subspace portals all closed.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
Lucario returns as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. In English, it is now voiced by Sean Schemmel, who voiced the Lucario in the English version of Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. It retains all of its special moves, as well as the Aura mechanic, which has been made more powerful and now affects all of its attacks. Its Final Smash is now Mega Evolution, in which Lucario temporarily Mega Evolves, increasing the power of its Aura to maximum.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Lucario returns as an unlockable fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Its Final Smash has reverted to Aura Storm from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, although Lucario now Mega Evolves into Mega Lucario before performing the move. Like all other characters, Lucario's mobility is improved, having faster walking, dashing, and air speeds, as well as higher air acceleration, while its short hop timing is reduced. However, Lucario's Aura mechanic sees some adjustments, being less effective at low damage, yet more effective at high damage.
In the World of Light, Lucario, alongside Greninja, are present when the fighters oppose Galeem for the first time. Lucario attempts to resist Galeem's large laser attack with Double Team, but ultimately is consumed and used to create puppet fighters.
Classic Mode route
Lucario's Classic Mode route involving characters who possess a counterattack, like Lucario's own Double Team, for their special moveset.
|1||Shulk, Little Mac||Gaur Plain||Time to Fight! - Xenoblade Chronicles|
|2||Palutena, Bayonetta||Umbra Clock Tower||Red & Black|
|3||Marth, Lucina||Coliseum||Story 5 Meeting|
|4||Mii Swordfighter ×6||Horde Battle||Spear Pillar||Battle! (Wild Pokémon) - Pokémon Diamond / Pokémon Pearl|
|5||Roy, Ike, Corrin||Castle Siege||The Devoted|
|6||Greninja||Pokémon Stadium 2||Battle! (Champion) - Pokémon X / Pokémon Y|
|Final||Master Hand, Crazy Hand (intensity 7.0 or higher)||Final Destination||Master Hand|
Master Hand / Crazy Hand (intensity 7.0 or higher)
Other crossover appearances
Super Mario Maker
Lucario appears as a Costume Mario costume in Super Mario Maker. It can be unlocked by completing 100 Mario Challenge on Expert difficulty or higher, or by scanning a Lucario amiibo.
Profiles and statistics
Super Smash Bros. Brawl trophy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl sticker
|Pokémon series||[Aura] - Attack +41||Lucario|
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U trophies
- Lucario can track a form of energy called an aura, given off by all living creatures. Lucario is the only known Fighting- and Steel-type Pokémon and evolves from Riolu during the day when its happiness is high enough. Lucario specializes in attacks that use aura energy, like Dark Pulse, and its can’t-miss move, Aura Sphere.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Super Smash Blog bio
- Lucario is the only fighter whose attack power increases as it takes damage. A fighter that truly shines when in a pinch, choose Lucario for a thrilling battle.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate spirit
|No.||Name||Image||Series / game||Type||Class||Strength / effect(s)||How to obtain||Spirit battle|
|417||Lucario||Pokémon Series||Fighter||N/A||N/A||Classic Mode as Lucario||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
- "Behold, the Aura." – Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- "Watch the power of Aura!" – Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- "The Aura is mine." – Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- "It's over!" – Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- "The Aura restored!" – Super Smash Bros. Brawl (unused)
- "The Aura is with me!" – Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
- "Max Aura!" – Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
- Mei Ling: You're fighting Lucario, aren't you, Snake?
- Snake: Mei Ling, what's that purple fire coming out of his hands?
- Mei Ling: That's his "Aura."
- Snake: Aura?
- Mei Ling: I guess you could call it his life force. Lucario can use his own Aura and turn it into power. Every time Lucario's damage increases, his Aura gains strength, making his attacks more powerful. So don't think you've got him beat just because his health is down.
- Snake: The cornered rat will bite the cat... Sounds like trouble.
- Mei Ling: Hey! When did you become so good with proverbs?!
- Snake: You must have rubbed off on me.
- Mei Ling: Well, come back in one piece, and I'll teach you all the Chinese proverbs you can handle.
- Viridi: What the heck is that?!
- Pit: Oh, that's Lucario. What about it?
- Viridi: I've never seen a creature with a life force like that! It's like a current of water. Or a whirlpool!
- Palutena: Oh, you mean Lucario's Aura.
- Viridi: Aura?
- Palutena: Lucario can sense the life force—or Aura—emanating from all living things. As Lucario takes more damage, its own Aura grows stronger.
- Viridi: Ingenious! Lucario sounds like a perfect fit for the Forces of Nature.
- Pit: We need to focus on the fight at hand.
- Viridi: You focus on the fight at hand. I gotta catch my new recruit.
- Pit: No! Stop!
- Palutena: Pit, a wounded Lucario is stronger than it looks. Be extra careful when it's taken lots of damage.
- Sean Schemmel (2006, 2014-present)
- Daisuke Namikawa (Japanese; 2005-present)
- Jean-Marc Delhausse (French; 2008-present)
- Luigi Fantino (Italian; 2008-present)
- Gerhard Jilka (German; 2006-present)
- Carlos Lobo (Spanish; 2008-present)
- Shin Yong Wu (Korean; 2010)
Name in other languages
|Possibly from「オリカルコン」("orichalcum", a mythical metal), spelled in reversed without the kanas「コ」(ko) and「ン」(n), or "oracle" (a supernatural ability involving aura); officially romanized as "Lucario"|
|Chinese||Hong Kong: 路卡利歐 (in the anime)
路卡利奧 (in the game)
China / Taiwan: 路卡利歐 (Traditional)
|Transcription of the Japanese name|
|Transcription of the Japanese name|
|Transcription of the English/Japanese name|
- Martial artists
- Unlockable characters
- Super Smash Bros. amiibo line
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl fighters
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl stickers
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl trophies
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U fighters
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS trophies
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U trophies
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate fighters
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate spirits