- “Ooh, how cuute!”
- – Mei Ling (commenting on Pikachu), Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mei Ling is a character from the Metal Gear Solid series. She is voiced by Kim Mai Guest in English and Houko Kuwashima in Japanese. She is the one who invented Snake's wireless communication equipment, the Codec. After the player saves the game in Metal Gear Solid, she gives Snake advice by telling him Chinese proverbs and quotations by Western authors.
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mei-Ling can analyze some characters in the game, like Zero Suit Samus and Pikachu, giving tips to Snake about them. This occurs only when playing as Solid Snake in Shadow Moses Island. Like in the Metal Gear series, the Codec frequency to talk with Mei Ling in Super Smash Bros. Brawl is 140.96.
About Captain Olimar and Pikmin
- Mei Ling: Snake, have you ever heard of the ancient Chinese story, "The Vain Ocean of Wealth and Splendor" from the Zhen Zhong Ji?
- Snake: I've been waiting for the movie.
- Mei Ling: Basically, it's meant to express the impermanence of all things. You know, like even when Captain Olimar has lots of Pikmin with him, they could all be gone the next moment. Those poor little guys... They carry, they fight, they multiply...and they get eaten. Olimar might have lots of company one minute, and be all alone the next. (sighs) It's so sad.
- Snake: But he can pluck out more Pikmin anytime he wants, right?
- Mei Ling: Well... Yeah, I suppose so.
- Snake: No one truly fights alone. Not even me.
- Mei Ling: (giggles) ...You're absolutely right, Snake. Good luck! I'm rooting for you.
About Ice Climbers
- Snake: So those two are the Ice Climbers, huh?
- Mei Ling: Snake, have you ever heard of a "blood bond"?
- Snake: Sure.
- Mei Ling: It refers to a bond between two people that's so strong they'd die for each other. The Ice Climbers have conquered frozen glaciers and dangerous mountaintops together. I think they've formed a bond that we can't even fathom.
- Snake: I dunno. Seems to me they'd get in each other's way fighting to see who gets to the top first.
- Mei Ling: Snake, in China they say, "Though brothers may quarrel at home, outside they defend each other from slight."
- Snake: Is that really a Chinese proverb?
- Mei Ling: Even though they may get in each other's way occasionally, they'll pull together in times of need. They're an inseparable team, Snake. Don't underestimate them!
- Mei Ling: You're fighting Lucario, aren't you, Snake?
- Snake: Mei Ling, what's that purple fire coming out of his hands?
- Mei Ling: That's his "Aura."
- Snake: Aura?
- Mei Ling: I guess you could call it his life force. Lucario can use his own Aura and turn it into power. Every time Lucario's damage increases, his Aura gains strength, making his attacks more powerful. So don't think you've got him beat just because his health is down.
- Snake: The cornered rat will bite the cat... Sounds like trouble.
- Mei Ling: Hey! When did you become so good with proverbs?!
- Snake: You must have rubbed off on me.
- Mei Ling: Well, come back in one piece, and I'll teach you all the Chinese proverbs you can handle.
- Mei Ling: I see you're fighting Lucas, Snake.
- Snake: Lucas?
- Mei Ling: That boy has PSI powers, which he can use for different kinds of attacks. But the poor little guy's had such a hard life. His mother was killed when he was young, and he was separated from his brother. After that, he faced all kinds of senseless hardships, and he slowly grew stronger.
- Snake: Senseless hardships--yeah, I had a lot of those, too. The question is how you translate those hardships into a better future.
- Mei Ling: ...Mmm. Well, I hope things turn out OK for him.
- Mei Ling: Snake, have you heard the saying "Politics makes strange bedfellows"?
- Snake: Don't tell me that's a Chinese proverb.
- Mei Ling: Err, no... It means that when the going gets tough, you might need unexpected partnerships in order to succeed. Marth was a prince whose kingdom was usurped. He didn't even have an army to fight with him. But as he battled his way forward, he found new allies to fight at his side, and in the end, he was able to reunite the war-torn land of Altea.
- Snake: So he built his army from the ranks of his defeated enemies...
- Mei Ling: Marth did his share of fighting, too. Even when he had an army, he was always alongside his men in the thick of battle. Then he was betrayed by one of his most trusted friends. I can't even imagine how that feels...
- Snake: I can.
About Meta Knight
- Snake: Mei Ling, there's a mysterious masked man flying around here with a sword...
- Mei Ling: That's Meta Knight. He's a knight from Dream Land. They say his sword swings can break the sound barrier. Whatever you do, don't get caught in one of his furious barrage attacks. He also commands the Halberd, a flying battleship.
- Snake: Mm, I've seen it. The bow looks like his mask. What kind of weirdo puts his face on the bow of a ship, anyway?
- Mei Ling: Umm, maybe he's a little narcissistic. Kind of like someone else I know.
- Snake: Really... And who would that be?
- Mei Ling: Use your imagination...
- Mei Ling: (overjoyed) Ooh, how cuute!
- Snake: What? The yellow thing?
- Mei Ling: That's Pikachu. It's a Pokémon. They're popular all over the world, you know. And it may look cute, but be careful, It can store up large amounts of electricity in those adorable little cheeks. It'll try to pepper you with electric shocks.
- Snake: Couldn't be much worse than Ocelot's old torture device...
- Mei Ling: Oh, and, Snake?
- Snake: What?
- Mei Ling: I was wondering, could you maybe try and catch Pikachu for me? Pleeeeease?
- Snake: Give me a break! What do I look like, a Pokémon Trainer?
- Mei Ling: (disappointed) Fine... Sorry I asked.
About Princess Peach
- Snake: Mei Ling, tell me what you know about Peach.
- Mei Ling: Princess Peach is the beloved ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom. She's been kidnapped numerous times by Bowser.
- Snake: Sounds pretty serious...
- Mei Ling: Yes, but every time it happens, Mario ends up saving her. Sure, he may not look like your ideal "knight in shining armor." A little on the short side, I'd say... But still, don't you think it's romantic? I mean, to have a guy who's always there for you?
- Snake: If he was smart, he'd tell her to stop getting kidnapped.
- Mei Ling: ...You don't get a lot of dates, do you, Snake?
- Snake: What's going on here? What happened to Zelda?!
- Mei Ling: Snake, Princess Zelda transformed into Sheik. I can understand the clothes, but to change her skin and eye color? That must take some powerful magic.
- Snake: ...Magic...?
- Mei Ling: Come on, Snake! Don't get all grumpy and start talking about how unscientific it is. Science is basically just another form of magic that makes our lives easier.
- Snake: I never thought I'd hear that coming from you, Mei Ling.
- Mei Ling: Don't you think talking to someone halfway around the world is a kind of magic? Or flying across entire continents?
- Snake: No, I think this is completely different.
About Toon Link
- Snake: Mei Ling, who is this kid with the cat eyes...?
- Mei Ling: Oh, they call him Toon Link. Doesn't he look familiar?
- Snake: Yeah, he looks just like Link.
- Mei Ling: But you know there've been several people who've gone by that name, right? They all have certain things in common--green clothes, a sword, a shield... But they all came from different lands and lived in different eras. And yet the spirit of the hero of the Triforce is timeless. It's an essence that transcends history.
- Snake: I think I can relate to that.
- Mei Ling: Huh? What do you mean?
- Snake: There's been more than one "Snake," too, you know...
About Zero Suit Samus
- Solid Snake: Mei Ling, Samus took her clothes off!
- Mei Ling: That's just her in the Zero Suit, Snake.
- Snake: Hmm, without that bulky Power Suit, she's gotten a lot more agile... You know, I bet if I took off all this heavy gear, I could catch her.
- Mei Ling: Um, yeah, you wish. Even without the Power Suit, all that training she did with the Chozo has made her a super athlete. I don't think a normal human could ever keep up. Just look at her.
- Snake: ...Her loss.
Name in other languages
|Beautiful and delicate|
- Mei Ling on the Metal Gear Wiki