Super Smash Bros. Ultimate artwork
|First appearance||Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (1993)|
|Latest appearance||Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls (2019)|
|Portrayed by||David Vincent (English, 2007–present)|
Kiyoyuki Yanada (Japanese, 1997-2019)
- “Begone! You don't belong in this world, monster!”
- – Richter Belmont, "Vampire Killer" trailer for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Richter Belmont is a character from Konami's Castlevania video game series, and the descendant of Simon Belmont, who debuted as the main protagonist of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. Richter faces the resurrected Dracula in the year 1792, storming Castlevania after the town of Aljiba was burned by Dracula's forces and innocent maidens were kidnapped, including Richter's girlfriend Annette. He is a playable fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Richter makes his Super Smash Bros. debut in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as a third-party character. He appears alongside fellow Konami characters Solid Snake and Simon Belmont, Sega's Sonic the Hedgehog, Bayonetta, and Joker, Capcom's Mega Man, Ryu, and Ken Masters, Bandai Namco's Pac-Man, Square Enix's Cloud Strife and Hero, Microsoft's Banjo & Kazooie, and SNK's Terry Bogard. He and Simon were confirmed to be in the game via a Nintendo Direct that took place on August 8th, 2018. Richter is voiced in English by David Vincent, reprising his role from previous Castlevania titles, including Portrait of Ruin, Harmony of Despair, and The Dracula X Chronicles; and in Japanese by Kiyoyuki Yanada, his voice actor in Symphony of the Night.
Richter is classified as an Echo Fighter of Simon, with his moveset and animations being based directly on Simon's (although the two actually take inspiration from each other), making him the first third-party Echo Fighter and the only one of a newcomer instead of a veteran fighter. Richter's special attacks are Axe, an ax that is a powerful projectile; Holy Water, a multi-hitting projectile, with a blue flame that does aura damage instead of an orange burning one that does flame damage; Cross, a projectile with boomerang-esque properties; and Uppercut, a powerful uppercut that functions as his recovery move. Richter's Final Smash, Grand Cross, is functionally identical to Simon's identically-named Final Smash. For his stage entrance, Richter appears from a flash of light while swinging his whip.
In Simon's debut trailer, he saves his ancestor Simon from Dracula's attack, and shouts a variant of his famous line from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (quoted above), "Die monster. You don't belong in this world!"
Similar to King Dedede in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Lucina in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, Richter's name is announced differently in the Japanese version to reflect the pronunciation in that language. This trait is also shared with Simon and King K. Rool.
Classic Mode route
Richter's Classic Mode route has him fighting other Echo Fighters.
|1||Dark Samus||Norfair||Multiplayer - Metroid Prime 2: Echoes|
|2||Daisy||Golden Plains||Mario Tennis / Mario Golf|
|3||Lucina||Coliseum (Ω)||Destiny (Ablaze)|
|4||Chrom||Arena Ferox||Id (Purpose)|
|5||Dark Pit||Reset Bomb Forest||Dark Pit's Theme|
|6||Ken||Suzaku Castle (Ω)||Ken Stage|
|Final||Dracula||Dance of Illusions|
- Axe is Richter's standard special move. When used, Richter throws an axe that travels at a high parabolic arc. The angle can be changed. The move deals high damage and knockback, and can go through solid terrain. However, it has very high startup lag.
- Cross is Richter's side special move. When used, Richter throws a cross like a boomerang. Unlike other boomerangs, the Cross makes no attempt to return to Richter. The Cross only flies straight forward and back. Only one Cross can be out at a time. If the Cross collides against a solid surface, it bounces back.
- Uppercut is Richter's up special move. When used, Richter swiftly performs an uppercut while ascending with the Vampire Killer in hand. It can also be used as a recovery, though it has poor height.
- Holy Water is Richter's down special move. When used, Richter drops a flask of Holy Water in a downward arc. When it makes contact with the ground, it produces blue flames. If the flask is caught by the opponent before it hits the ground, it can be thrown as an item. Only one flask or pillar of flame can exist at a time. Compared to Simon's Holy Water, the flames from Richter's Holy Water deals aura damage instead of flame damage; this is more noticeable when throwing Holy Water to a Blast Box or a Bomber, as Simon's Holy Water can detonate them while Richter's cannot.
- Grand Cross is Richter's Final Smash. When activated, Richter summons a large coffin in front of him, which traps nearby opponents. If successfully trapped, Richter will grab the coffin with the Vampire Killer's chain, swing it and toss it skywards, then unleash magical crosses made of energy. Once the move is completed, opponents are launched away.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Pit: Um... Who's this guy with the chain whip?
- Palutena: That would be Richter Belmont.
- Alucard: Pardon the interruption.
- Pit: GAH! Don't sneak up on us like that!
- Palutena: Ahh, Alucard. Hello! Pit, meet Alucard. He's the son of Count Dracula.
- Pit: Dracula's your dad?! That's so cool! Hey, do you have fangs? Are they sharp?
- Viridi: Pit! That's pretty personal. And do you really want to bring up blood-sucking fangs?
- Pit: What are you... Oh no! You're not here to suck my blood, are you? I need it!
- Alucard: No, I don't like the taste. And my mother taught me not to cause suffering. My father chose another path, and so I've sworn to stop him. Richter here is the descendant of a man who shared my burden. He has a strong sense of justice and is an honest man. But that in turn makes him easy to manipulate. He was once cursed by the dark priest Shaft who used him as a puppet to control Dracula's Castle.
- Pit: So you're saying he's kind of...uh...simple?
- Viridi: Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house, Pit. I very much doubt that YOU could effectively run a castle.
- Alucard: In any case, Richter is a formidable opponent. Underestimating him would be your undoing.
- Palutena: Alucard, do you also intend to participate?
- Alucard: I am merely here to assist Richter...and anyone else who calls upon me.
Super Smash Blog bios
- Richter from the Castlevania series joins the battle as Simon's Echo Fighter! His basic attacks are the same as Simon's, but with subtle variations. In addition to that, his Holy Water is a different color.
- Richter from the Castlevania series joins the battle as Simon's echo fighter in the Super Smash Bros.™ Ultimate game ! His basic attacks are the same as Simon's, but with subtle variations. In addition to that, his holy water is a different color.
- "Take this!"
- "It's time!"
- "Prepare yourself."
- "You don't belong in this world!"
Names in other languages
|Richter Belmont (alternatively Belmondo or Belmond); "Richter" is German pronunciation.|
- While playing as Richter's distant relative Maria Renard in his debut game Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, one of Maria's summons, the turtle, bears a slight resemblance to a Buzzy Beetle.