Super Smash Bros. Ultimate artwork
|First appearance||Xenoblade Chronicles (2010)|
|Latest appearance||Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (2020)|
- “This is the Monado's power!”
- – Shulk, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
Shulk is the main protagonist of Xenoblade Chronicles. Originally an engineer from Colony 9 on the Bionis, Shulk's colony is attacked by the Mechon, leading to him setting off on a quest to stop the Mechon once and for all. He wields the Monado, an ancient sword that gives him various special abilities, including being able to see visions of the future.
Super Smash Bros. series
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
Shulk appears as a new playable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. He was officially confirmed on August 29, 2014, during a Japanese Nintendo 3DS Direct that also revealed the New Nintendo 3DS port of his original game, Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. His English voice actor in this game is Adam Howden and his Japanese voice actor is Shintarō Asanuma, both reprising their roles from Xenoblade Chronicles.
For his stage entrance, Shulk lands on the stage from above and sets the Monado on his back. Shulk's moveset revolves around the Monado, which splits open to reveal a beam of light that gives his attacks added range, while the blade deals greater damage. Although his overall stats are mostly average, Shulk can use his standard special, the Monado Arts, to alter his abilities, giving him specific advantages and disadvantages. His other special moves include Back Slash, a leaping slash that deals extra damage if it hits an enemy from behind; Air Slash, which lets Shulk rise into the air as he slashes upward; and Vision, a counter that negates all damage and deals increased damage in return. His Final Smash is Chain Attack, where he calls on his friends Riki and Dunban to help attack opponents that he has trapped.
Six of Shulk's seven alternate costumes are based upon the other six party members of Xenoblade Chronicles, while his seventh is Shulk's appearance when not equipped with any armor.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Shulk returns as an unlockable veteran fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Shulk's hair now changes color depending on the costume he chooses, to better reflect their representations of various Xenoblade Chronicles characters. Shulk receives mobility improvements, like all other characters, though his moveset receives some minor adjustments, such as Mecha-Fiora appearing in Chain Attack. His Monado Arts also enhance his abilities to a greater extent.
In the World of Light, Shulk is present when the fighters oppose Galeem for the first time. With Vision, he predicted that the fighters would be vaporized by Galeem's attack.
Classic Mode route
|Witness the Monado's Power|
|1||Falco||Lylat Cruise||Space Armada|
|2||Sonic||Windy Hill Zone||Windy Hill - Zone 1|
|3||Giant King K. Rool||Jungle Japes||Crocodile Cacophony|
|4||Cloud||Midgar||Let the Battles Begin!|
|5||Little Mac||Boxing Ring||World Circuit Theme|
|6||Mega Man||Wily Castle||Metal Man Stage|
|Final||Master Hand, Crazy Hand (intensity 7.0 or higher)||Final Destination||Master Hand|
Master Hand / Crazy Hand (intensity 7.0 or higher)
Super Mario Maker
Shulk is one of the Mystery Mushroom costumes that can be unlocked in Super Mario Maker, either by using the Shulk amiibo or as a random unlock by completing the 100 Mario Challenge on Expert Mode. Pressing causes Shulk to pose with the Monado, and the "course clear" fanfare is replaced with the fanfare that plays when finding a secret area in Xenoblade Chronicles. Shulk is unique in that his voice clips are all from the Japanese version of Xenoblade Chronicles regardless of language.
Profiles and statistics
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U trophy information
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate spirit
|No.||Name||Image||Series / game||Type||Class||Strength / effect(s)||How to obtain||Spirit battle|
|951||Shulk||Xenoblade Chronicles series||Fighter||N/A||N/A||Classic Mode as Shulk||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
- Pit: I don't think I've seen that guy around.
- Palutena: That's Shulk. He's 18 years old and clocks in at 5 feet 6 inches.
- Pit: That's a pretty fancy sword he's got.
- Palutena: That's the Monado, the sword that defeated the Mechonis.
- Pit: (in a Cockney accent) Makes us look like a buncha jokers.
- Palutena: The Monado can change Shulk's strengths and weaknesses. For example, it might increase his jumping ability while decreasing his defense.
- Pit: So for every strength he gains, he also gains a weakness.
- Palutena: Yes, and Shulk can KO opponents easier when they've sustained more damage. But if you know his weakness, he's not too difficult to deal with.
- Pit: (in a Cockney accent) Let's not lose our heads, though!
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Super Smash Blog bio
- He is the only fighter that can change his status during battle. His sword, the Monado, allows him to switch between five modes—Jump (Green), Speed (Blue), Shield (Yellow), Buster (Purple) and Smash (Red)—which change his abilities for a short time. Fun fact: Shulk's eighth color variation puts him in a pair of swimming trunks!
- A handsome young man and a budding scientist, Shulk is the main protagonist in the Xenoblade Chronicles game. After his home colony is attacked by the Mechon, he and his friends set off to take them down. Shulk wields the Monado, a legendary blade imbued with a curious power that allows it to effortlessly slice through Mechon armor.
- "Back Slash!"
- "Air Slash!"
- "A vision...!"
- "I see it...!"
- "Now it's Shulk time!"
- "I'm really feeling it!"
- "I can change the future!"
- "The future is ours to decide!"
- "I've got a good rhythm going!"
- "I got through that pretty good!"
- "This is a good result!"
- "I can feel the power!"
- "Yatte yaru sa! (I'll do this!)" - Super Mario Maker
- "Hirake, Monado yo! (Monado, lend us your power!)" - Super Mario Maker
Dunban (Final Smash)
- "On my mark!"
- "Riki! Don't mess up!"
- "Shulk, GO!!"
Riki (Final Smash)
- "Heeeere Riki go!"
- "Riki leave that one for Dundun!"
- "Get them, Shulk! Smashpow!"
A screenshot of Shulk in Gaur Plain
| Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U (Japanese) - One of Shulk's taunts. (Shintarō Asanuma, 2014)||File info|
| Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U (English) - "I'm really feeling it!" - One of Shulk's taunts. (Adam Howden, 2014)||File info|
Names in other languages
- Months before Shulk's official reveal as a playable character for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, his English voice actor, Adam Howden, stated on Twitter that he was doing voice-over work for a game, but could not reveal what it was at the time.
- Metal Face, the stage boss of Gaur Plain, utters special quotes if Shulk is among the fighters.