Super Smash Bros. Ultimate artwork
|First appearance||Star Fox 64 (1997)|
|Latest appearance||Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (2018)|
- “I've got you now, Star Fox!”
- – Wolf O'Donnell, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Wolf O'Donnell is the longtime rival of Fox McCloud in the Star Fox series, in which he debuted in Star Fox 64. His name and species is identical to that of the real-world animal. Wolf is the leader of the Star Wolf wing, a rival team to Fox's Star Fox team. Wolf later appears as an unlockable playable character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Wolf makes a minor appearance during the intro of Super Smash Bros. Melee. When Fox flies by a Wolfen, the screen splits to show Fox and Wolf inside the cockpits.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Wolf is one of the unlockable characters in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, using his appearance from Star Fox: Assault, and he is voiced by Jay Ward. According to Masahiro Sakurai, Wolf was nearly cut from the game due to time constraints.
Wolf is both the biggest and heaviest of the Star Fox characters. He is not as fast as Fox and Falco, but his attacks are more powerful. His aerial speed is better than that of Fox's and Falco's. He can be unlocked by having him join the party in Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary, playing 450 Brawl matches, or by clearing Boss Battles with either Fox or Falco, then defeating him on Lylat Cruise.
For his stage entrance, Wolf is dropped on the stage by a Wolfen. Though Wolf's special moves are based on the basic design of Fox's special moves, they have been altered for Wolf, with new effects for all of them. All his standard moves are different as well. Wolf's standard special move is the Blaster, though unlike Fox and Falco's, the gun has a claw-like extension that damages nearby opponents. His side special is Wolf Flash, which gives Wolf some vertical height and has a meteor smash at the end. His up special is Fire Wolf, in which Wolf instantly charges in the direction held on the control stick, the air surrounding him damaging opponents. His down special is Reflector, which has a different visual effect than the other characters' Reflectors and increases the speed of reflected items and projectiles rather than power. His Final Smash is the Landmaster, his version having more firepower and sporting Wolfen coloration.
Wolf also appears in all of the Star Fox character Smash Taunts on Lylat Cruise.
Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary
In Adventure Mode: The Subspace Emissary, Wolf does not have a major role and does not interact with other characters, but can join the player's party after beating Tabuu, along with Jigglypuff and Toon Link. The player must enter a special red door in The Ruins, which will take them to Lylat Cruise. The player sees Wolf flying his Wolfen. He then jumps out of the Wolfen, and lands on the cruise. Wolf strikes a pose and then rushes at the player attacking them. The player must then defeat Wolf in a one-life stock battle. After defeat, he joins the party.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
While Wolf does not return as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, he still appears as part of the smash taunt on Lylat Cruise in the latter game. Wolf is also featured as a trophy in both versions. Finally, some of Wolf's moves have been implemented as custom special moves for Fox, and Fox also has an alternate costume matching Wolf's colors.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
After a ten-year playable absence in the Super Smash Bros. series, Wolf returns in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, where he has been redesigned to match his appearance in Star Fox Zero. Additionally, the majority of his moveset is also updated to reflect his new design, while he takes on a more upright posture during battle. Wolf is also much more nimble. He also has a new Final Smash involving other members of Star Wolf.
Classic Mode route
Wolf's Classic Mode route has him battling characters who are not fighters in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, but are fighters in at least one prior Super Smash Bros. game. Galleom's appearance as a boss references its absence from the 3DS and Wii U games.
|1||Ice Climbers||Summit||Ice Climber (Melee)|
|2||Young Link||Great Bay||Overworld Theme - The Legend of Zelda (Melee)|
|3||Pichu||Pokémon Stadium||Pokémon Gold / Pokémon Silver Medley|
|4||Squirtle||Pokémon Stadium 2||Pokémon Gym/Evolution - Pokémon Red / Pokémon Blue|
|5||Ivysaur||Spear Pillar||Battle! (Dialga/Palkia) / Spear Pillar|
|6||Snake||Shadow Moses Island||Theme of Tara|
|Final||Galleom||Boss Battle - Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
Profiles and statistics
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
The Star Fox team’s greatest rival is Team Star Wolf. Sitting at the head of this group is Wolf O’Donnell.
Wolf fights with his razor-sharp claws in a style that’s downright feral. His high risk, high return special moves are a blast to use.
|Wolf||Star Fox Command||[Energy] - Attack +27||All characters|
|Wolf||Star Fox Assault||[Arm, Leg] - Attack +15||Fox, Falco, Wolf|
- Snake: Colonel, there's a guy in here who looks like a wolf...
- Colonel: You mean the fighter named Wolf.
- Snake: "Wolf." Real imaginative name...
- Colonel: He's the leader of a ragtag team called "Star Wolf." They're the longtime rivals of Star Fox.
- Snake: Kind of strange for a wolf to have friends, isn't it?
- Colonel: Well, I don't think he works well with others. I suppose they're more like hangers-on than actual comrades. But he's a remarkable pilot. And his ship, the "Wolfen," is no slouch, either.
- Snake: But this is hand-to-hand combat, Colonel. He's out of his element.
- Colonel: Careful, Snake. Those claws of his aren't just for show.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
|No.||Name||Image||Series / game||Type||Class||Strength / effect(s)||How to obtain||Spirit battle|
|384||Wolf O'Donnell||Star Fox Series||Fighter||N/A||N/A||Classic Mode as Wolf||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
- Pit: Now this guy seems bad to the core!
- Palutena: That's Wolf. He's Fox's archnemesis and the leader of Star Wolf. Star Wolf is a group of mercenaries hired by Andross.
- Pit: Mercenaries will do anything for money...
- Palutena: Generally speaking. Although, Star Fox is also technically a mercenary group, but they would never aid someone as evil as Andross.
- Viridi: Wolf may be Fox's nemesis, but there's also a mutual respect between them. They even fought on the same side at one point.
- Palutena: Kind of like Pit and Dark Pit.
- Dark Pit: What?! We're nothing like that! I DON'T respect him and we're sure not all buddy-buddy!
- Palutena: See, you guys are just like them.
- Viridi: You even have the same "glorified palette swap" thing, uh, going on...
- Palutena: In any case, Wolf's Blaster shoots long-range projectiles, but it can also be a nuisance at close range.
Super Smash Blog bio
- The leader of the Star Wolf mercenary team makes his grand return after 10 years! He puts his sharp claws to good use in wild attacks, and his Final Smash is an all-out attack by Team Star Wolf! If Fox or Falco is in the battle, you may hear a unique line of dialog.
- Wolf used to fight in Andross's army, tangling with Star Fox in battle after battle. After Andross's exile, he went his own way and formed a mercenary team called Star Wolf. He and his eternal rival, Fox McCloud, have even fought on the same side from time to time...but inevitably, they always meet again as enemies.
- "I will be the one to take you down!" - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- "What's the matter, scared?" - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- "We're gonna have fun with this thing!" - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- "Playtime's over, Star Fox!" - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- "Weaklings, the bunch of you!" - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- "Don't think you can take a breather just yet, Team Star Fox!" - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- "You know you are all like us. Our fates are intertwined. We are destined to meet in battle. After all, what fun is there to be had in peace and quiet? A true warrior can only live in the battlefield!" - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- "Listen close: I won't let a single one of you leave here alive! And Fox, remember this! I'm the one who's going to take you down!" - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- "Are you scared?" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "You're good, but I'm better." - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "Wolf pack!" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "Grahaha! The hunt is on, boys!" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "I've got you now, Star Fox!" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- "Weaklings, the lot of you!" - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
| Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - One of Wolf's taunts. (Kosuke Takaguchi, 2018)||File info|
| Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - "Are you scared?" - One of Wolf's taunts. (Jay Ward, 2018)||File info|
Names in other languages
- Star Fox characters
- Unlockable characters
- Super Smash Bros. amiibo line
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl fighters
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl stickers
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl trophies
- Super Smash Bros. Melee characters
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS trophies
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U trophies
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate fighters
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate spirits